Sat, 30 Sept|
Repair Café: Sustainable Fashion Week Special!
Join us at our Repair Cafés, a free meeting place for repairing things together to bring our favourite items back to life! Bring along a broken item, or volunteer your repairing skills to help others. Find out what to expect at our Repair Café below, and register to join in.
Time & Location
30 Sept, 13:00 – 16:00 BST
Canons House, 19 Madeira Rd, Mitcham CR4 4HD, UK
About the event
Welcome to the world of fixing fun! If you would like to be in a community of people preventing tech, electrical, furniture and textiles waste, you’ve come to the right place. Join us at our free Repair Cafés with a broken item and get it repaired for free by one of our volunteer repairers. You might even learn how to fix the item yourself while you are there.
In this special Sustainable Fashion week edition of the Repair Café, alongside our usual tech, small electronics, clothing and furniture repairers, we're having a Sewing Machine clinic! If you have a sewing machine that isn't quite working as you would like, bring it along! Our volunteer sewing experts will help you to fix common issues like threading and tension settings, or recommend local sewing machine services for a more in depth repair to get you sewing again.
Sometimes we can't fix things there and then, but we can try to figure out the issue together. Our repairers bring basic tools, but if the item needs a replacement part please bring it with you, or the repairers can tell you what to order and you can bring it to the next café.
We have a few guidelines for bringing along an item:
- Bring only one item to each event. We want to make sure as many people as possible can feel the joy of fixing an item.
- You need to be able to bring the item with you and take it back home afterwards. If the item is too heavy or large to carry on your own, we won’t have time to fix it.
- Any textiles will need to be washed and dry before bringing them along.
- We can repair damaged clothing, but sadly we won’t have the time to carry out alterations.
- We are not able to repair power tools or large TVs.
- There might be a bit of a wait before your item is looked at by one of our volunteer repairers. We recommend bringing along a book, or if you’re feeling outgoing chat to another Repair Café visitor!
- We're happy to help you learn how to repair. We are not repair professionals, and the Repair Café is a community self-repair space. Attending means that you take responsibility for your own item. Please back up your data on tech items.
We know our Repair Café s make an impact and we always make sure to gather that data. When you arrive, we’ll weigh your item and ask a couple of questions about the item’s age, brand, and what it’s made from. After every Repair Café we share how much waste we stopped from being sent to landfill or incineration, and how much CO2 emissions were prevented too.
Be sure to register and let us know if you’re bringing along a broken item to fix. We can’t wait to see you there!